Spalato (modern-day Split in Croatia) is on the coast of the Adriatic Sea. An enormous palace was built here by the Roman Emperor Diocletian in 293 AD for his retirement and later formed the core within which the early medieval town grew. The Medieval period in Split is marked by the waning power of the Byzantine Empire, and by the struggle of the neighboring powers, namely the Venetian Republic, the Kingdom of Croatia, and (later) the Kingdom of Hungary, to fill the power vacuum.
Having purchased the 'rights' to Dalmatia the Venetians moved in 1420. The port was extensively developed in the late 16th Century for Venetian trade by a Levantine Jewish merchant named Daniele Rodriga. The defences were modified and extended in the late 16th century and again in the mid 17th century before being almost completed demolished in the 1800s.
The relief panel views the town from the south and shows a rectangular inner enclosure made up by the roman walls and square towers to the right and medieval walls and towers to the left. In addition there is a large triangular bastion'on the south west corner with a small pentagonal bastion to the north. An outer line of defence creates a roughly pentagonal enclosure with a longer side being made up by the water front. Two large triangular bastions flank this and there are three slightly smaller pentagonal bastions shown defending the rest of the circuit. A handful of large buildings are shown at the harbourside, presumably warehouses and ship sheds. Whilst the Roman and medieval defences remain well preserved most of the later work has been swept away apart from a few traces preserved in a park and in elements of the street plan.