Château Trompette, Bordeaux

In 1453, Bordeaux was strongly fortified in order to intimidate the pro-English elements of the population. This included the town walls and three forts, the Fort du Hâ, Fort Louis and the Château Trompette. In the early 17th century, Bordeaux was involved in the Fronde, a rebellion of nobles against Louis XIV.

Château Trompette.

He decided to rebuild the Château Trompette as a massive symbol of royal power and to guard against rebellion in Bordeaux. The new fort took the form of a large, rectangular citadel'with 6 bastions. There were four large circular towers in the corners and a battery alongside the river Gironde. Because of its immense size, a large number of houses had to be demolished to accommodate the esplanades in front of the ramparts. The Château Trompette was designed to overawe the inhabitants of the city, so it was made to look as impressive as possible, with decorated walls and monumental ornate gatehouses. In 1816, after the Napoleonic Wars, the Château Trompette was demolished to make way for urban expansion.

Landward side of the Château Trompette. On the left, the riverside front can be seen.
Ground level view with the river battery on the left. View across the northern end of the Chateau.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page