Fort Paté

Part of the verrou de Blaye, a system of three forts (Blaye, Fort Paté, Fort Médoc) built by Vauban'to close the Gironde estuary against enemy ships, Fort Paté was constructed on an island in the river between Blaye and Médoc. Started in 1691, the fort required a large amount of piling to support it, as the Island of Paté is made up of very soft, wet ground. It was completed in 1693, and consisted of an ovoid masonary tower with 16 embrasures on the roof and a further 16 embrasures in an earthen parapet at the foot of the tower. Inside there was a large room with loopholes in the outer wall and a powder magazine in the centre. There was a guard house on the roof, directly above the powder magazine. Fort Paté saw action against British naval forces in the Napoleonic Wars.

Fort Paté. Close-up of the fort.
Fort Paté from 'ground level'. Wider view of Fort Paté.
Fort Paté end. Fort Paté side.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page