Fort Saint Nicholas

Marseille's Fort Saint-Nicholas was built in 1660 on the orders of Louis XIV following unrest in the city. It consisted of a square inner fort of four bastions, surrounded by an outer line of fortifications. The Fort Saint-Nicholas is on the southern side of the entrance to the harbour. There was a chain slung across the harbour entrance to Fort Saint-Jean on the opposite side to prevent enemy ships from entering.

Fort Saint-Nicholas, this one is a bit blurred. Fort Saint-Nicholas.
A good view of the upper fort. Fort Saint-Nicholas.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page