Audenarde

Audenarde seen from the north-east. This image is rather blurred...

Fortified in the 13th century, the town of Audenarde (Oudenaarde in Flemish) was given bastions by the French in the 16th century. Following the Spanish occupation, Audenarde was aquired by France in 1668. In 1670, Vauban improved the defences, building a system of sluices for inundations.

He also created a front of 4 bastions on the southern bank of the river Escaut, with a flooded ditch, a covered way and demi-lunes. The fortifications were demolished in the 18th century, but there are some remains of them today.

Audenarde from the west. The town seen from the east.
Detail of the inner town and the castle. The southern part of the town. Note the entrance that goes through the flank of a bastion.
The south of Audenarde seen from the east. The northern entrance.
The church and the castle. Detail of a bastion in the northern defences.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page