Fort des Bains
During the War of Devolution (1667-1668) the Spanish made raids into the Tech valley from their fortress at Camprodon. To protect against future attacks, the engineer Saint Hillaire'built Fort des Bains (also known as Fort d'Amélie) on a hill above the town of Amélie les Bains. It was constructed in 1670 on the site of an older fortification.
When Vauban'visited the fort in the 1680s he was not impressed with it, although he made some minor improvments. He was scathing of the fort's ability to protect the valley and he built Fort Lagarde farther up the valley to neutralise the Spanish fortress of Camprodon. In 1794 the 440-strong garrison of Fort des Bains made a long resistance against the Spanish. Today, Fort les Bains is intact, but privately owned and not open to the public.